Thursday, December 16, 2010

Celebrating 300 Facebook Fans!! The Power of Social Connection

Today we celebrate another milestone. The buzz of social media surrounds our everyday lives but are we really connected? This is an example of true connection. Thank you, Melissa for becoming our 300th fan!

The Power of Facebook

I grew up in a small town of 2000 people smack dab in the middle of Wisconsin. Our graduating class size averaged 75 kids. We were a small knit group who's parents knew everyone within a 100 mile radius and talked about them weekly over Friday night fish fry. We could ride our bikes from one end of town to the other without worry or hesitation. I have many fond memories from my childhood and visit every two years or so but have lost touch with many of my childhood friends until recently. Since the popularity of social media, specifically Facebook, has made it's way into our lives, I have been able to reconnect with many of my childhood friends including my 300th fan.

Like many of the other gadgets in our lives, social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter can lack personal communication and limits face to face time by chatting or sending messages. On the other hand, you can get a feeling of belonging when someone that you rarely speak with finds your status update amusing. There are both ends of the spectrum.

Melissa is like many of my fans; a woman, a mother, a friend. The difference is I have a personal connection with her. We grew up together, have our own lives on opposite sides of the country and it has been years since we have spoken yet she still supports my efforts. It was an amazing feeling to wake up wondering who would be our 300th fan and discovering that it was a friend.

Many of my fans are my closest friends but some are people that I haven't even met who enjoy our content. I want you all to know that you are very special to me and I am overwhelmed with gratitude for your support and love.

All My Sugar,

Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment