Saturday, June 4, 2011

Gel Nail Polish Removal Process: Before and After Photos

I really liked having the gel nail polish on my fingernails for the past 13 days but it was time to take it off. It still shined but the edges were beginning to look grown out and I must say that my nails grew longer and faster with this polish on. Or at least it seemed so. I really like short nails and when I started to feel them tap on the keyboard, I wanted to cut them all off. I included the picture on the left for you to see how much they grew in the 10 days between photos.

I went to the same salon that I went to the first time. Typically if you go to have the polish put on there they will give you a discount to take it off. The process itself took a total of 15 minutes and I was on my way. The scraping and filing was the part I wasn't such a fan of. I would have rather let them soak longer so they could easily lift off.

My overall thought when I left was that I wasn't sure if I would do it again in the near future in order to let my nails breathe. My nails look good today, 24 hours later and my fear of ruining my nails has subsided. They look healthy which was my main concern. I love the gel polish and would recommend it for long vacations or events but maybe not as an everyday thing.

Previous Post: Are You Jellish? The Life Cycle of Gel Nail Polish

The Process:
My Manicurist filed the top layer off of each nail with a large file to expedite the acetone process. 
Acetone soaked cotton is applied directly to the top of the nail and wrapped in tinfoil to hold in place for 5 minutes.

The nail is then scraped in layers to remove the gel polish and the clear undercoat.
All the little flecks of polish.

The tops were filed with a small filing block and the tips were shaped to remove any leftover color. You can see the scrape marks that made me regret my idea. I came home to trim the nails and add nail oil to rehydrate. The photo below is what they look like 24 hours later. They look so much better today than when I left the salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment