Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Supper: Cast Iron Buttermilk Fried Chicken- A Day Dedicated to Dad and Childhood Favorites

My Dad shares his love through his cooking and I have learned to do the same. There is nothing more personal than preparing a savory dish or a sweet treat for someone to present and watching their face light up upon receipt. Food is a commonplace for all mankind that reminds us of family, home and comfort. Today's post is about the dishes that dad used to prepare for me when I was a little girl and still will when I am home.

My Dad had his own business and would come home to a home cooked meal after a long day, kick up his feet and watch a little tube. His favorite team is the Green Bay Packers so Sunday's consisted of a sixer, his favorite quilt and a small RCA. We would have "cook outs", as we called them, which means barbecue in other parts of the country. I guess we were a literal bunch; we cooked outside in our huge back yard. The smell of hamburgers and brats penetrated the neighborhood and Dad always wrote our names in mustard on his plate. That was our favorite!


He had a series of cars that were quite memorable including this old blue Buick that had white plastic smelling interior with a hood that was so long I had to scoot all the way forward to see over the dash to a sea of blue hood. I could hardly see the massive emblem waaaaayyyyy down at the end.  We also were a part of the first minivan revolution. Ours had that faux wood paneling with corduroy seats. Ok, maybe they weren't corduroy. As soon as we got it, my parents packed up all the kids and a babysitter and we headed over 1500 miles on a road trip to Walt Disney World. 




He would bring us little toys now and again. My Grandpa built us the most beautiful toys of all time including a deluxe dollhouse that had three bedrooms, a dining room, kitchen and living space. The roof was on hinges and could open up to store . I wanted to be a teacher so he built me a huge chalkboard for my "classroom" and a little wooden wheelbarrow to take out to the garden with him. We was a green thumb with beautiful red roses and bright delicious tomatoes. We would sit around the table with thick juicy slices and sprinkle them with salt and pepper or sugar for the kids. Guess which one I chose?

I still stop and smell the roses every chance that I get to take in the sweet smell of Grandpa and every time I slice a fresh tomato, I envision us gathered around the table laughing and sharing love. Today's post is dedicated to to my Daddy and my Grandpa who always had their hand in the kitchen and made the most delicious meals.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

What You Need
Skin on chicken drummies, bone in breasts and bone-in thighs enough to feed a small army
fresh sage
buttermilk
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
paprika
flour
oil for frying
A paper bag of good size
A cast iron skillet
metal tongs
metal rack

What To Do
Lightly season your chicken with salt and pepper then add to the marinade. Let chicken soak over night in the buttermilk, salt, pepper and fresh sage.

For the breading, combine 2-21/2c. of all purpose flour, 1 t. of salt and pepper, 2 t. paprika in small bowl. Dump mix into paper bag and give it a good shake. remove chicken pieces from the marinade and lightly dry before sticking them in the bag. Place a few pieces in the bag at a time and shake, shake, shake.

Place your breaded pieces on a cookie sheet and allow to rest in the fridge for approximately 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large cast iron skillet, heat approximately 2/12-3 c. of cooking oil over LOW heat. Be careful now, this is how many kitchen fires start. I would know...I burnt down an apartment this way...The oil should be about 350 degrees. You can always use a little Fry Daddy too. Whatever suits you.

Test the heat of the oil by dropping in a piece to see if the oil bubbles. When oil is ready place chicken in skin side down and leave it alone for 6-8 minutes than flip and cook for another ten. When chicken is cooked through, transfer to the metal rack and let rest while you finish your other pieces. If you are a little slow on the giddy-up, keep them warm in the oven while you finish.

Happy Father's Day to all you Daddies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment