Thursday, January 6, 2011

Non-Verbal Communication: What Your Appearance Says About You

Three years ago, I began a new career and started day one with confidence and promotion on my mind. I wanted to go to the top and my wardrobe reflected it. I was on point in every possible way; my wardrobe was sharp, well tailored and I wore suits almost everyday. Within the 15 months, I had been promoted twice. 10 months ago, I had the worst professional review of my life and it completely knocked me down. It destroyed my energy, reduced my confidence and I lost focus.
Last night, I watched an episode of What Not To Wear on TLC and got a lesson myself. I realized that the emotional and mental toll of the poor review caused me to be passive aggressive through my wardrobe. I went from communicating confidence to communicating that I don't care.
So, I took the outfit test from blogthings.com The good news is, I haven't lost all hope. It was a fun exercise but I needed more so I turned to the experts at ninemsn to find out the messages that one can communicate through their personal appearance. Here is what they had to say:
  • Learn to iron or find a dry cleaner. A clean, pressed shirt is sharp communicates that you are sharp.
  • Spruce up your wardrobe with small investments such as a new belt or accessories. You are your own advertisement. Be the best ad possible.
  • Self maintenance shows that you are serious about yourself. Maintain your hair and nails by getting regular haircuts and a manicure. Someone who is physically fit shows that you are motivated.
  • Find a tailor. Having clothes fit you really well shows attention to detail.
To read the full article, click the link below.
Sally Hunwick. How To Dress To Get That Promotion. May 9, 2008.  http://yourlifeworks.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=560000

No comments:

Post a Comment