Saturday, July 24, 2010

Detox and Cleansing Questions Answered: My Opinion

My friend recently had surgery on her knee and was inquiring about my thoughts on detox diets while she was in recovery. We went back and forth about different options trying to narrow down a plan that is right for her. Now, I want you all to read this next line very carefully: I AM NOT A DOCTOR nor am I a nutritionist. I recommend that you consult your doctor or nutritionist before you do anything drastic. I am a health conscious girl living in an obese world and I am just trying to get by one health tip at a time.  This is purely my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I believe that eating raw fruits and vegetables daily will naturally "detox" your body. Drinking water naturally flushes your system of toxins as well. Making home-made meals from scratch are far better for you than restaurant food or pre-packaged junk. I believe that if you use the excuse of not having time, I want you to decide to make time because your life and your children's life may depend on it.  Lifestyle changes start small. Make one change every day, week, month, year whatever. Make changes today to change your life tomorrow.

My Opinions:

I don't believe in starving yourself.
I don't believe in powdered products.
I don't believe that drinking your lunch out of a tin can is a smart choice.
I don't believe that any "diet" works.
I don't believe in processed foods. 

I believe that you are in control of your body.
I believe that we all make conscious decisions as to what goes in our mouths.
I believe that marketing is killing us.
I believe that you can change your lifestyle.
I believe that health is a lifestyle.
I believe in you.

As you saw in my juice post, I have seen the results of fresh fruit and vegetables. I believe that a healthy lifestyle will keep you thinner, healthier, happier and more alert. You will probably sleep sounder, have more energy, and not feel groggy mid-day.

My opinion of a great way to kick off a healthy lifestyle:
  • Throw out every boxed food product in your pantry and stop buying them.
  • Read the ingredients: If you can read it, don't eat it.
  • Shop locally and seek fresh fruits and veggies (organic if possible if not read this post for conventional options that are less toxic)
  • Stay away from modified ingredients.
  • Don't fall for low-fat or fat free marketing ploys. 
  • Choose real fat over processed fat. Butter and bacon fat are far better for you than margarine. 
  • Dairy isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Are you even tolerant of it? 
Books you may want to read:

Eat Right For Your Blood Type by Peter J. D'Adado
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin WARNING: This is a crass, vulgar read with gory details but great education.
Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes by Jennifer McLagan

Websites that you may want to visit:
The Good Human http://www.thegoodhuman.com/
Jennifer's Blog http://jennifermclagan.blogspot.com/ 
Whole Foods http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

A movie that you may want to watch: Food Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment