Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Inspiring The Leader Within: Recommended Reading

Recently I learned that a friend's career path has been interrupted due to lack of effective leadership by his mentors.  News of a discontinued relationship with any company of pride is always trying and emotional. The conversation was grim but the outcome was positive as he realized that this is not a failure but an opportunity to grow as a leader. As I listened to him share, a particular mentor and role model came to mind who's leadership has guided me time and time again. I did my best to share insight and offer advice.
Some of us are born to lead while others are taught. We can be instructed to do so but not necessarily taught how to. I hope that today's recommended readings will help you on your journey to becoming the leader within.

  • Crucial Conversations: Tools For Talking When Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillian, and Al Switzler
  • The 7 Habit's of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen Covey
  • Sun Tzu and The Art of Business: Six Strategic Principles For Managers by Mark R. McNeilly

  • It's Not My Department! How America Can Return To Excellence-Giving and Receiving Quality Service by Peter Glen
  • The Spirit To Serve Marriott's Way by J.W. Marriott, Kathi Ann Brown, and Jim Collins
  • The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles For Creating Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company by Joseph Michelli

Each company has training programs to fit the mold of what they feel is a good representation of the corporation. Fortunately, I have had a very successful mentor teach me leadership skills that I will carry throughout my professional career. I challenge you to go beyond what is mandatory and become the leader that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment